07 July 2013

Ride to conquer cancer

It's wet, my back is aching from sleeping on the ground, a thin separating me from the damp and cold grass. But I'm alive. I'm well. I'm fit (I think...)



I've seen so many weakened by and die from cancer. So many. Those lying in bed next for mum at the hospital, those lying in the hospice. My own father, my own mother, my dear friends Carmen and Tehwei, my uncle... Did they complain? Did they lament life and te discomforts of their illness and pain? 

Last night, I cried when this grail lady with shaven head came on stage. I saw her bike air her daughter (I think). They were slow, but going at a steady pace. They took pictures at scenic spots. It was beautiful to see. She came on stage and revealed she had just competed her latest round of three weeks ago. And here she is, biking with so many thousands of bikers for the same cause.  It was beautiful....

This is why I am here. To ride to "conquer" cancer. 
Of course people are goin to die from cancer while we embark on this ride, of course millions will be diagnosed with cancer still. But we are staying the course, we are doing our bit to help. Raise money is what we can do. Show compassion and empathy is how we can help best. Being aware and taking preventive steps is how we can help ourselves. 

With every pedal, we are getting closet to our goal, our destination: one day we will conquer cancer. One day...

No comments: