27 January 2012

Letter

What do you say to someone who is near the end of the journey of life?
This is not the first time, and it for sure will not be my last.
Do you say "Get well soon?", even though he will not?
Do you ask "How are you feeling?" when you know very well you cannot imagine the physical pain and emotional turmoil he is experiencing, and when you know very well you can do little to take either of those things from him?

What do you write to someone whose every day may be the last, whose every minute is uncertain whether it will lead to the next? You write with your heart, you write with words that will infuse beauty and wisdom, compassion and humanity.

Over two years ago when I saw my friend for the last time before he passed away a week later, I wrote him a card. It was not a get well card, more a "be well" card. "Savour every moment" I remember writing to him, "Treasure every breath". He was a devout Buddhist, and the one I accredit for leading me onto the spiritual path of meditation and living with joy and loving-kindness. He taught me and told me many times before "Life is only so much", and that anything in this universe "is only ever so much" (如是). So let go... Let go of everything. And those were the words I gave back to him in my card, for those were the words he once gifted me. And accompanying my card were pictures... Of the ocean, of mountains, of flowers, of sunsets and sunrises... Pictures of the beautiful ways and expressions of this universe, lest my friend should forget.

He cried seeing those pictures, and stroked the images like they were so dear to him. His family told me the pictures were above his bed when he peacefully left this world...

May it also be that my words and pictures on their way to my uncle will bring him much peace, tranquility and a gentle, small reminder of what wonderful beauties there are in this world...

No comments: