01 January 2012

Happy new year

Final half an hour of the new year. Sitting in the bright corridor of ward 172 at the Taipei Veterans General Hospital, just outside mum's room.  I never imagined I would be spending this new year in Taiwan (again...). I thought I would spend it with friends, or alone at home. But I'm glad in a way I'll be welcoming 2012 with mum, even though she's already fast asleep. On the glass window of mum's room I placed some pictures and little notes. Something I enjoy doing, and something I thought would add a little touch of humanness and care to the hospital ward. "Happy new year" one said, and the other "Thank you for all your hard work". The latter note is directed at everyone, the nurses and doctors who work day and night to alleviate the pain and suffering of so many. But the note is also directed at the patients and relatives who struggle everyday against illness, anxiety, and fear... We have all worked very hard... All of us... Fifteen minutes till the new year, till the old is over and done with. Overall, it's been a tough year, and filled with a lot of downs, having to face a long-drawn out breakup, the prsopect of losing the best and closest friend I have ever had, and having to continuously face mum's  deteriorating health condition and brushes with physical disability, and death... But there too have been wonderful times... My first true love, which was so deep, so real, so very beautiful... the wedding of my brother... realising the dream of traveling with mum to Canada... Taking the first step to immigrating permanently... the birth of my nephew... and completion of my thesis after three long years. It has not been easy, but life never is... Hopefully the coming year will be filled with more positive energy and beautiful moments with people who make me smile and who touch my heart, and that my hopes and aspirations will begin to be realised. The final countdown... The sprawling city before me flashes with colourful explosions and sparks. Behind the dark silhouette of the Yuanshan mountain range, the spire of Taipei 101 glows bright with an impressive display of lights and fireworks. 2012 is here finally... I look down at the world beneath my feet and silently wished... May all beings be happy, may all beings be free. May mum regain her health, may she soon recover...  May I be strong, may I be filled with the compassion and love I need, and more, to carry me through difficult and testing times...  Happy new year... May it be a happy one.   

No comments: