09 October 2011

Grandson

I lay on the floor and listened to mum converse with my brother on my iPhone.

"Call grandma! Go on, say "gradma"", my brother joked as he held his baby in his arms and occasionally leaned in to kiss him, while his wife sat and smiled in the background. What an extremely touching sight, and I was moved to tears. It is so beautiful to hold your own child in your arms... Am I going to have that precious privilege one day too...? Am I going to have a partner by my side as well?

Mum laughed out loud many tines for the next hour or so as she chatted with my brother and sister-in-law. From a distance, i took in the scene. Mum lay in her armchair, resting her sore arm over her head, while with the other arm she held onto the phone. With deep concentration, she looked at what her grandson was doing. Every little move, every little kick or punch or noise he made made mum laugh and squint from smiling. Seeing that made me smile too, and smiling makes you forget everything else.

 I noticed one of the first things she does after breakfast is to switch on the computer and check her Facebook account to see if new pictures or videos of her grandson have been posted. If not, then she'd review the already uploaded pictures again and again. And again.

Doing so gives her hope, gives her a reason to live, a reason to take care of herself, even thought it is so hard on her own. All in the hope of one day holding her grandson in her arms...

No comments: