02 August 2011

gift

We decided today to go cycling, a long, long bike ride, which we have not done for a long time. So together with my friend, we hopped on our bikes and pedalled hard.

The weather was wonderful, not too hot or humid, and if it weren't for the wind, it would have been perfect for going at high speeds, which we both enjoy so much on our two wheeler. I had just fixed up both bikes using tools and with help from a bike collective at uni, and the bikes rode incredibly smoothly.

One thing I thoroughly love doing with my friend is just biking. Barely two years ago, he had not been on a bike for years, but as soon as I reintroduced to him how convenient and free it feels on a bike, he was hooked, and ever since we've gone on many long rides together. It really is something that brings us together, and that sense of achievement seeing how fast and how far we've pedalled, and giving each other high fives, really is such a simple fun an joy.

We found a nice secluded quay an just lay down next to one another under the afternoon sun. I called my mum, and chatted about how she was doing with my brother in Europe.

She sounded disappointed, though she was sparing on the details. I could guess what went 'wrong', but I told her that on a few more days she will be gone and back in the comfort of her own home.

Sometime ago, my friend was in Korea, and has asked me specifically what to buy for mum. I didn't want him to spend too much money and to go through too much trouble, but he did anyways. Mum told me that she just received the gift package- ginseng tablets. Not just any type. My friend had gone through the trouble of asking around and buying something that is specifically for cancer patients, as mum told me there was a special ingredient in the tablet which is effective in battling the spread of cancer.

When I heard that, I was so touched, so very touched... My friend was next to me, and immediately I leaned over to stroke his arm and whisper " thank you, thank you" in his ears. After I finished talking to mum, I gave him many big hugs, and again and again I thanked him for the wonderful and very meaningful gift...

Later on i would say many mor " thank yous" to my friend... But how could I really make him feel how I feel deep inside? The gift, and the fact that it's something that can help combat mum's illness, means so very much to me, especially as the gift is for the most important person in my life...

I don't know if my friend realised how special that is, and I cannot imagine what trouble he went through to get that special gift into my mum's hands. But really, I was and am still very touched when I just think about it...2

No comments: