30 July 2011

couple

Through a friend I met a couple. A very cute and seemingly compatible couple. It was only today I found out that they were on their 'honeymoon', as they got 'married' (partnered) recently.

I chatted with them, about how they met, how they've been together for over two years, and one day it just dawned on them to get officially 'married'. I guess there comes a point when you realise: this is the one, this is the one I can picture myself being with all my life.

They admitted it's because there are economic benefits, especially since they were already living together. But there are other, more important issues, like visitation rights should someone fall ill and be hospitalized, rights to insurance payout should one be maimed or pass away; all the rights and privileges a legally sanctioned relationship enjoy.

Seeing them so happy together, touching and caressing one another, kissing passionately in public made me envious. It's so beautiful, yet at the same time hard to watch, because it just reminds me of what I so long for, but have difficulty finding, or keeping. That closeness, that intimacy, that trust, that understanding and that meeting of two minds to want to spend the rest of our lives together, no matter what.

It's so beautiful, so hard to find, and so precious to keep and treasure.

No comments: