12 June 2011

Jetlag

I've done it so many times, but the symptoms seem to get worse and worse. Crossing the Pacific, especially Eastward from Asia to North America, is torturous. The body and biological clock becomes so befuddled by the strange 'time travel'. Even though you fly for ten hours (or more), you actually arrive on the same day, and even a few hours before you departed. So last night, I left  at around midnight, and landed at quarter past seven in the evening. I slept, as you would when it's around midnight, woke up and had a meal just before landing. But was that my breakfast, or my supper?

Time is relative as they say, and I've been told it's best to immediately imagine you're already in the time zone of the place of destination as soon as you board the plane, so you can better adjust to the time difference. But really, inter-continental travel, especially between places that are half a day ahead (or later) can be very confusion to the mind and body.

This morning I woke up at just a little after four thirty, and whatever I did, I simply could not fall back asleep again. So I got up and did some work, and by ten in the morning, when everyone else was just waking up ad starting their day (it's the weekend...) I was dozing off.

As much as I resisted the pull of a warm, comfortable bed, it was just too tempting. Throughout the day, I napped on and off, even though I know it would probably not do me much good and would delay my adjusting to the new time zone.

But it felt like I was struck down by a horribly numbing and headaching illness. My head spun around heavily, and my body  felt so heavy I could not lift myself up from the bed.

Hopefully, the headache, nausea and time confusion will gradually fade...

No comments: