18 June 2011

In Jasper

A second day on the train, heading deeper and deeper into the mountains.

The surroundings changed as we slowly wound our way upwards, and lofty snow-capped peaks became to appear, even though it's late June. 

I tried to enjoy the train journey, tried to absorb as much of the magnificent scenery this region is famed for. But mum's condition is a constant worry and distraction. At one point it crossed my mind... Perhaps the next time I take the train will be in mourning, in tribute to the journey I once took with mum. 

Though we've been on the train almost the whole day, suddenly by early afternoon, mum complained that her throat was aching. Whether it's better or worse than before, she does not know, but the doctor said two weeks or so after the last radiotherapy the pain should fade and begin to disappear. It's been two weeks and three days. 

We arrived at our accommodation in the beautiful setting of Jasper, a log cabin surrounded by mountains, bordered by blue, blue lakes. Only after a few bites, mum said she was very, very tired. It was then that i noticed her eye had become bloodshot, dark red filling the  white of her left eye.

She had to excuse herself and retired to her room, her dish barely touched. 

Here I am, finishing my and her dish at a table in a crowded place, feeling vulnerable, feeling I could just break down....

No comments: