03 February 2011

Trip southward

Traditionally, on the second day of the new (lunar) year, the wife and husband goes to visit the wife's family, and pay respect to the elders. As my brother and wife are planning to head south, I'm going to tag along too, partly to get to know my new (extended) family a bit better, but also partly to get away for my own sake, and for my mum's sake.

After a quick lunch, I'm heading into the mountains for a few days at the monastery. It'll be nice to collect myself, to calm down and get away from all the things at home. As much as I want to be with her, to take care of her, and make sure she's well and happy, being with mum can be draining, physically and mentally. Not just for me, but I think also for her too. With some distance, I hope I can see things more clearly, and that it'll be easier for me to 'let go' of things when that day comes...

And that day will eventually come soon, it seems, as and tonight, I just spent a few hours with my friend planning my trip home to Canada, and buying a ticket! At first I wanted to surprise him, and just show up at his doorstep... but as he is really skilled in looking for cheap flights, he helped me greatly to find good connections, with even a stopover in Vancouver so I can see my cousins. We even made plans to spend a few days together on the west coast, which will be kind of romantic, especially after being apart for so long. I really hope all the plans will go through, as he put a lot of effort and thought into all this, and as he is flying all the way just to pick me up... And what a wonderful return to Canada that would be, to be greeted by someone I've been thinking of and missing.

No comments: