06 February 2011

Love


It is such a mysterious yet wonderful thing, love… Quietly I sat with the monk and contemplated what it means, and whether I feel it at all. The sun was setting, casting a beautiful orange, warm glow on the entire world.

“When you feel it, there are no doubts, there are no questions. You just know it.” People may go astray, minds may wander, arguments and quarrels may erupt, yet when there is love between two people, when that love is certain and still passionate as the first day that it all began, there are no obstacles that are insurmountable for two people. To love, to be truly and deeply in love, you are able to find compromise, to treasure and cherish one another’s personalities and differences.

“What is it that you feel towards him?” I was asked about how I feel toward my friend. It is all so new for me, especially the intensities of emotions (both negative and positive) and emotional and physical intimacies we have experienced and shared in the last two month or so. I have not really stopped to think what it all means, what he means to me…

“Well, he makes me feel special, feel cared for, feel loved,” I said, “I feel like he will be there for me, and he listens to me and my problems. I don’t think anyone has ever made me feel this way before.” I looked down at my feet, and pictured him in front of me. “And I care about him. Care about his wellbeing, his happiness, his feelings. I think about him often, and it makes me feel warm inside when I think of him…”

“Well,” the monk said, “That’s love.”

So this is what love is?

1 comment:

jo said...

In reality, I'll pose it this way:
It is the very- well basis of love. To love passionately at beginning, to love tenderly with care, to love through all the difficulties and grab each other's hand firmly. I may never dare to say to anyone that "I'll love you forever" until very late of my age, since love is the sweetest burden (甜蜜的負擔) grow with the time, that only those who are willing to shoulder it find it. Love with a hug to you my dear friend.