09 February 2011

Night at the circus


The audience cheered and applauded loudly, as the performers each came out, smiling and bowing. It was a wonderful performance, a beautiful mixture of colourful costumes, of beautiful music and vocals all beautifully choreographed to portray the beauty of the human body and the art of dance and human strength and endurance.

I sat with mum, my brother and sister-in-law. It was our first outing of the new year together, and the first time that my family had seen Cirque du Soleil live. They were awed beyond speech, and mum’s joy and amazement at the performance was shown on her face.

For the first time in a long time, I felt a connection to Canada, to Montreal, the home of this wonderful group of performers and artists. Somehow, I felt pride to live (and dare I say come from…) the very place where it all began… a city brimming with arts, with culture and activities in all seasons. It brought me home, and swamped me with an abundance of nostalgia and beautiful memories. 

No comments: