03 December 2010

A chance


Sometimes in life we are offered a chance. At other times, we are offered another chance, in case we missed or failed to see or seize the first offer. A chance to think things through, to consider the pros and cons, to take a decision that is informed and suitable to the times and circumstances of life at this very moment. 

In the coming days, I must reflect on a number of things and come to a decision. I'm not sure what it is I want, what it is I need, especially as the past week or so has been confusing and hectic, filled with conjectures of the future, memories from the past, and sublime joys and nagging jealous feelings of the present. 

My decision does not just affect my life, but also has a great bearing on the life of another. If it were just my life that is being influenced, I can take responsibility for my own mistakes if further down the line I realise that the decision was foolish in the first place.  But if another person, if feelings, investments of time and effort from two parties are involved, then if further down the line things do not work out, then I am responsible also for the happiness of another. And that is always a great burden, because I do not wish to injure or hurt anyone-- at least not more than I have already done.

Of course, all this is based on the premise that things will go wrong, that the decision will produce bad results and that everything will turn sour. But there is also the possibility that the decision will cement a beautiful beginning to not only my life, but the life of another. 

You never really know what will happen in life, how life will twist and turn, throw you around, and sometimes back to where you started. Sometimes it is good to take a break from things, get away, and calm the mind to think things through.

No comments: