07 August 2013

At YYC


Last night, I accompanied a friend's mother to Vancouver. It was exciting in a sense to travel with her, especially as she doesn't enjoy going out much. But she and her daughter have been very kind to me, almost as soon as I moved to Canada almost five years ago. 

My friend moved to vancouver for work back in June, and I promised to help her move some (or much!)  of her  belongings whenever I go see her. Given that I have status with the airline, I can carry three suitcases of up to 32kg each. That's a lot of things. True to my word, I took three large suitcases and her mum with me last night, and secretly without the auntie knowing, switched seats with her so she could sit in business class (I got a free upgrade...). She was so happy when she got off the plane, and said she was so stuffed with good food and lounged in comfort. 






Actually, Flying to Vancouver last night was a bit of a detour for less than twelve hours later, I'm now in Calgary, about to embark on a clandestine but very meaningful mission. My friend felt bad I flew out of my way to bring her her belongings (and mum...) But a promise is a promise, right? Anyway I can help, I try to. And what more beautiful thing is there to help reunite a family, for if I didn't  take her mum, it's highly unlikely the auntie would travel by herself...

So what am I doing here in Alberta? Retracing my own footsteps, ones I have made two years with my own dear mum. This trip to return to the Rockies has been planned for over a year. And I am beginning to feel the emotions come. 

To think, two years ago, I sat with her on a bus as we traversed the beautiful Albertan landscape.... To think, two years ago, I could see her, touch her, put my head on her shoulder, hear her voice (and snoring...), catch her smile at me and feel her hand grab my arms when we walked side by side...
Now she is gone, long gone it feels like. It was as if my childhood, my life with a mother in it, and all those journeys we took together (including one I am about to retrace now...) are all a dream. A sweet, loving, tender and motherly dream that leaves you longing, and leaves you aching inside. 

No comments: