02 July 2013

Arrivederci!


Another airport goodbye. Another friend leaving, the third in the span of a month. 

He came in October last year and we shared an office. He was hardly there, as he preferred to work at home. He's such an workaholic, -and I could learn a thing or two from him. It was only in the past two months or so that we became closer, and I've been showing him more of Canada, as he's more or less buried his head in work and did not really had time (or made the time) to enjoy the city (let alone country...). I'm perhaps the one real friend he had here, and he was extremely grateful that I let him stay at my place when I was away two weeks ago. He had a mouse problem in his apartment. Ironically, I have a cat. 

A few unpleasantries and internal politics at the office meant that his contract was not renewed, much to his disappointment. By next month, after another two friends and colleagues leave (or are forced to leave...), I will be more or less alone at the office. 

 I'll miss this friend I've grown to know better  over the past week or so. It's rare to find a friend, and to meet someone who understands what it is like to lose a parent. Others do not know and do not really care to know. My friend told me to visit him in his little village, where he lives with his mum and sister and her family. It is no wonder why he chooses to return home. There is love and care there.

Everyone seems to be leaving. I'm more or less left here, with nobody whom I can really call a friend. Maybe it's time I should leave too. Get away from this place and begin life afresh.

 I may just do  that. 


No comments: