14 September 2011

definition



I opened a letter this morning, and on inside was an insurance policy which is supposed to protect my credit card payments should something, anything, happen to me.

And there in the most lawyerly and very dry, unfeeling way, cancer was defined. I read the description, again and again. For a moment, I was empty of feeling. But at one point, my mind drifted to a dream I had during the night. I don't remember the details, but reading the definition of cancer triggered a flashback...

"...malignant tumour characterised by unctonrolled growth of malignant cells". I can see it when I close my eyes. I can see it growing, growing, spreading and taking over. I could see the back of mum's, swollen and sore, terribly sore. And she was crying, she was in pain...

A definition in my insurance policy, and the nightmare I did not want to remember was remembered...

No comments: