17 August 2011

Remembering the ancestors

The other day was  the biggest celebration during the Ghost Month, a day when people in Taiwan commemorate their ancestors and worship "wandering ghosts". Originally, I wanted to throw a party, but I was stressed about my immigration interview, and I was also an emotional wreck after a few difficult days of talking and reconciling with my friend, so I needed to postpone. As a temporary tribute, I laid out a few fruits and invited my members of my family who have long passed away, invited my dad, to come, and promised that I would prepare something more sumptuous later in the month.

Mum today went to the temple to pay respects to dad's remains, and she took with her a number of dishes for  him and our ancestors, and plenty of fruits as well as paper money to be burnt as an offering. It went well, she said, and she also took the opportunity to stand before dad's urn and tell him about her trip to see my brother and I. That was very touching to hear, especially as I know she goes through a lot of trouble, all on her, and has to travel a great distance to complete the commemoration ceremony. I wished I could have been there, to help her, and to 'see' my dad and ancestors in person...

I will have to do something soon, as I promised I would.

No comments: