14 August 2011

entrevue

After almost three years here in Quebec, tomorrow will be a decisive day. The day which will more or less decide whether I continue staying here.

Probably it's not as dramatic as that, but it'll be a first step toward receiving permanent residence.

I've been dragging my feet on applying, and finally took the bold step last year October. Now, almost ten months later, I've been called to an interview (though, I was first contacted back in May for an interview, which was supposed to take place while I was in Taiwan with mum).

People who have gone through it tell me it's not as difficult as I imagine it. Most of all, they want to know whether I have a foundation in French ( which I do, albeit very basic and conversational), and to know why I want to stay here. And from online forums, the immigration officer would want to see and verify all my documents. At the end of the 30-60min interview my "fate" will be decided with either a success or failure.

If I fail I can apply again after I polish my language skills... My friend has said numerous times he'd willingly sponsor me so I can stay in the country... But, as much I appreciate the selfless offer, it is too much to accept, and I would feel depreciated as a person if I cannot even make it past immigration based on my own skills and abilities. If I succeed, it'll be perhaps the single greatest personal achievement in the last two, three years.

After a lot of downs lately, I more than ever i need something to make me feel accomplished and alive again. It will be a very big boost of confidence and prompt me to start my life with a new beginning, with more certainty and determination.

Tomorrow this time, I will know the answer.

No comments: