22 July 2011

In Europe

While I am here by myself, sweltering in the heat and trying to pick up my thesis work, mum is enjoying life with my brother and sister-in-law, and the cooler climate in Europe. And that is great! It really is.

"He really has changed," mum said, referring to my brother. She has not seen him so happy and put so much effort into something the way he is busy nowadays preparing for the arrival of the baby. Yesterday, they went to the gynecologist, and for the first time, mum heard the baby's heart beat broadcast on speakers. I don't know if they also managed to see echographs of the first baby of my family's next generation. I could hear the happiness and excitement in mum's voice, and that was so very moving.

The way she described how things are there, and how well mum is getting along with brother and my sister-in-law made filled me with such joy I was close to tears (yes, I am for some reason very emotional these days still...).

It is just as I had hoped, and not as I had feared. However much I would like to go there and be with them, deep down I would like them to spend time together. However much I would like to go and enjoy hiking around the forests behind house, or go walking on the beach at sunset with them, I want them to bond, to have and make precious memories together. I have had my many moments with mum, and it is their turn. Mum also needs to have the moments alone with brother (and my sister-in-law) to talk about things that perhaps they would otherwise not do if I were hanging around all the time. For, if anything should happen, the experience of living and being together these coming few weeks will provide mum, brother, and his wife with beautiful moments they can always recall and cherish.

No comments: