16 April 2011

"I wish her well..."

"I wish her well..." I have said that a couple of times since my former flatmate moved out of my apartment. Perhaps I have said that a couple of times too many that it sounds so jaded and fake....

Perhaps to the outside world, I may seem  heartless to kick a poor girl who has no stable income out onto the streets, but two weeks after she moved out, a number of her belongings are still in my apartment and taking up space. I wrote to her a week ago,  asking her to move her things as soon as possible, but so far I have not received a reply. Perhaps the tone of my message was too direct, because I basically wrote that after all I have done in the past few months to accommodate her, the least she could do is move her things when she moves out. No reply...

Instead, word got back to me that the girl may have even telling a mutual friend that I am lying about my mum's impending visit just to get rid of her... Imagine that... Lying about a visit I have been hoping and planning for two years to get rid of someone who has been staying in my apartment for free for seven months! Why, if I wanted to get rid of her, do I need to have a reason in my own house, for which I am paying the rent? I had given her more than ample time to move, and she turns around to 'bite' me like this... Perhaps I should have kicked her out sooner rather than now, much later, after she has gotten comfortable living off of me...

The situation really makes me feel frustrated and hurt, and I really am not in the mood for confrontation. All I want is my room back, all of it. I just don't want to have to see boxes of her things every time I walk into that room and be reminded that she was ever around. Even today, two weeks after she moved out, she still has my key, and can at any moment just walk back into my apartment without notice.

If I am seen as mean and ill-willed, then so be it. But really, deep down inside, I just wish to get rid of what has been a negative and exhausting influence in my life for the last couple of months and put this all episode behind me. Even after hearing rumours that she is telling people things about me behind my back, I  harbour no ill feelings to her. In fact, I feel sorry for her... How can anyone have such short term memory and conveniently forget the things I've done to help her get on her feet, and just think of e as mean-spirited as soon as I ask her to leave my house?  If someone were to help me and shelter me for so long and do so not expecting anything in return, the least I could do is show a little gratitude, and not start spreading untrue rumours or play the innocent victim being forcibly evicted.

"I wish her well..." I really do, as fake and as hypocritical perhaps as it may sound. But I know how I feel toward her, and that is enough.

No comments: