16 April 2011

At the ballet

I started planning this day for a few weeks now, ever since I started seeing posters advertising Moulin Rouge- the Ballet at metro stations downtown. Since my boyfriend and I never really had Valentines Day together, I have been planning an occasion to organise something special, and it seemed the perfect opportunity.

Moulin Rouge is a wonderful love story, involving romance, jealousy, separated lovers and death. When I first watched the movie a few years ago, I was so touched that I cried in the latter half of the film. At the time, fresh in my first relationship, I was just beginning to experience and feel what the power of love is, and what it drives people to do. So today, going to watch the performance with my boyfriend has more significance.

I wasn't really sure how he would respond to the ballet, and in fact he actually screwed up his face when he realised where we were going... He's not really a fan of classical arts, and that initial reaction was extremely disappointing to see, especially as I wanted to bring in a little element of surprise and excitement.

During the performance, whenever the stage darkened for a scene change, I would steal little kisses, and almost throughout we held one anothers hands. It was a warming and enjoyable two hours together, though I'm kind of unsure what he really thought of the show... but the music, colourful dresses and elegant movements of the dancers brought to life a beautiful love story before us on stage, and I think toward the end he was more surprised by the performance.

Happy Valentines!

No comments: