16 April 2011

Disappointment

Earlier this week, mum told me that she intends to come visit me soon, and just yesterday I opened my inbox to a surprise email from my uncle cheerfully entitled ¨Mum can go to Canada now!¨ 

How happy I was, so happy I could have jumped from my seat. There was a date, provisionally 27 May, and there were all these plans, of flying first to the West Coast of Canada, then taking the Rocky Mountaineer that she always dreamed of taking, and then staying with me in Montreal for a while before she heads to Europe to visit brother (and hopefully also the sister-in-law, if she is able to be there, pending immigration approval...)

So wonderful, it all sounds. Imagine the beauty that can be enjoyed, the fun that can be had, the memories that can be made. For the last couple of weeks mum has been telling me how she's been preping herself for the trip, how she has been diligently exercising everyday so she can regain her health and strength to make a long trip overseas... I, on this side of the world, have been looking at places I could take her, browsing websites for prices, times and schedules, and imagining how close I am to fulfilling that dream of mine of welcoming her to my Canadian home...

And then today, she wasn't so sure any more. She woke up with a sore back, and her arm has started hurting again. It comes and goes, of course, but what if she is on the road and starts to suffer unbearable pain? "It probably isn't a good idea to travel for so long, and to be so far away from home..."

I was disappointed, but I cannot blame her. "Just wait and see how things go..." I was disappointed, but in a way, it is not unexpected. The state of mum's health is no longer like it used to be, and she cannot just pack her bags and leave like other people. Maybe part of the fear is premature, but there is always a risk that something serious may happen on the road, and then what will we do, especially if we are far away from her doctors who know her condition? Plans and bookings are now on hold. She is going to see a doctor next week and is very likely going to start  a new treatment. Who knows how she will feel after that...

I guess we'll just have to wait and see, and not celebrate too soon, even though I have been telling friends and neighbours that my mum is (maybe) finally coming, health pending. 

No comments: