31 December 2010

Happy new year...



If  we open the window of our heart
[We] will see the beautiful dream of youth
Even if the future is hopeless
It will somehow make the sighs in [our] chest disappear
Beautiful dream of youth, where are you?
Hopefully you are always in our hearts
If we open the window of our heart
[We] will see the beautiful dream of youth...

On the TV sparks and flashes of fireworks exploding over the night sky across the island. I hugged mum tightly, and closed my eyes to savour the passing moments after the clock struck midnight.

I can't recall the last time I spent new year's eve/day with mum at my side. Even though it's quiet at home, and even though mum was almost falling asleep, I am glad I decided not to go into town to see the celebrations live. "I'm so lucky to have you with me this year," she whispered.

The new year has come, and though less than an hour of it has passed, mum was again worrying about things. As she prepared to go to bed, she began to talk of past events and distant memories, began to recall the people and events that made her upset, that make her feels frustrated and angry. Almost everything revolved around money... cold, meaningless money. In fact, a few hours ago, my brother actually called to ask for it, to sponsor him in his future plans, as if mum has not done enough in paying for everything for the wedding. Doesn't have enough and can't afford this and that, he complained. No happy new year, no well wishes. Just called to ask if mum could send him some money.

I'm not sure how to react. A new year has come, yet the problems, the topics of worry and sources of discussion are still the same. But this is life. These are the circumstances. These are the people we have to deal with, whether we like it or not.

I listened to mum's complaints, stroked her back to reassure her, to tell her not to let these trivial things bother her. "A new year has come. Be happy, be healthy, this and every year", I said.

Deep down, there really is nothing else I wish for...

No comments: