26 December 2010

Taiwan Teddy


I wanted to buy it myself to add to my collection. A special edition, German-made white teddy bear to commemorate the 100th anniversary of ‘Taiwan’ (actually, of the Republic of China…).

A few days ago, I had seen it on sale at the store next to my house, and today was the last opportunity to buy it. After lunch, mum and I went for a walk, and I actually wanted to sneak up to the store to get that teddy, somewhat embarrassed that I, a big boy already, was buying a teddy. 

Mum said she wanted to come along too, and in fact she wasn't all that surprised about me wanting to buy a teddy, seeing as I have a collection at home. Every time I travel, I have a soft toy with me, and she knows that. 

I took a good look at the soft toy, but hesitated a little because of the price. It does look and feel very nice, the fabric is so soft, and really there is a difference exactly because it's made in Germany. I decided to buy it, but mum beat me to the cashier. 

"It's from me to you," she said, "You can take it home, hold it in your sleep when I'm not around". I wasn't sure whether she meant when she's not close by, or whether she meant something else. But I was moved, and will treasure this teddy bear for ever and ever.

When she got home, she asked if she could have a hug. With the teddy, she meant. I gave the soft toy to her, and watched her caress the bear like she would a child. For a few moments, she leaned in close and closed her eyes. What a beautiful moment that was.

The Taiwan Teddy is number 136 of 200 in the world. And through my mum's caress and embrace, this special edition teddy just became even more special.

2 comments:

jo said...

The teddy became unique with the image taken and words spoken. Your mom is beautiful (good to see an image of her)

Formosa said...

Thank you :) I think she's beautiful too~