06 May 2010

Mum's birthday


I told a little lie this morning. A white lie on mum's birthday.

I said I wanted to go out for breakfast, something which I practically never do, for why go out to eat when there are things at home and when I can eat with mum? Anyways, she was glad I was going out, but little did she know that I did not go out to eat. I went out looking for my brother who was eating at a breakfast place down the road, and together we walked to the market.

I had told him my plan to get fresh flowers last night, and he revealed to me that he and his new 'friend' had ordered a nice cake from a famous bakery. So together we basked in our cunning little secrets to surprise mum and walked in the morning heat. We got to the florist, and were lost as what to buy for her. There were so many different kinds of flowers, so many colours to choose from. The lovely lady at the store gave us some hints, and we picked some pink roses, coronations, and pinkish white lilies, which she made into a big bouquet decorated with colourful wrapping paper and a big red ribbon. "She'll be very happy," the florist said, "She's a lucky mum".

We got home, and found mum resting in bed. She came out and saw the flowers and was thoroughly surprised (though, she did find it strange that I would go out for breakfast...). "I've never been treated like this!" she said, as I gave her a hug and wished her a happy birthday.

And silently, I wished her good health, and lots of happiness for as long as she lives...

No comments: