01 February 2010

Bright, sunshinny day

Woke up to the sound of the alarm, and felt my head and world swirling. I don't know why the past few days sleeping in my own bed and in my own bedroom I don't sleep very well. Don't have the same problem, it seems, when I sleep in the spare room.

Called mum, and for a moment I was worried because the phone kept ringing but there was no answer. Then I remembered that she might be at the new house, so I rang her mobile. And she was indeed already at the new place, and actually taking out the garbage (which comes around three times a day for some reason!!)

She sounded joyful, and was delightedly telling me how wonderful the new place is, and how well she slept in her new bed. Like I encouraged her to do, she bought a new and better bed, and she said it really made a difference.

"Are you working already?" I asked, almost afraid that she might say yes, only a few days after the chemo therapy. In fact, she was already at the office, having only rested over a weekend. But she reassured me that there's very little work for her now, and she seems to be just going in to swipe her fingers (to sign in), and sitting around reading, chatting and doing the odd chore. Her colleagues are very understanding, and her direct superior is a guy who used to be her colleague, and who is a close, good friend of hers. They told her that she's worked enough already for the last 20 something years, and it's time to take it easy till retirement. "Just as well," mum said, "As I may need the relaxed working environment as the effects of chemo sessions pile up..." Already, she said, she's been having a few days of diahrea because of the medication...

Overall it was a happyish conversation, and I felt relieved to hear she was doing better. At least from the sounds of her voice. I think the new house has really made an impact on her, just as I had expected. It took a while for her to be able to finally move in, but all the patience and waiting (despite some tensions and intolerable arguments on the way) seem to have paid off.

I pulled open the curtains, and despite shivering from the morning chill, felt the dawn of a new, bright sunshinny day...

... even better that I may have a "date" later! :)

No comments: