22 June 2013

Town of Narita

220613.1444

Town of Narita

With four and something hours to spare, I left the airport and made my way to the town of Narita. A quaint little place with a massive temple and forest in the north that attracts millions of pilgrims every year.

The mascot for the town is a plane-like eel, a combination of the international airport and unagi Narita is famed for. I strolled along the pilgrim's way and came to a restaurant that lured me in. Perhaps it was the smell of soy-sauced eel grilling over charcoal that attracted me. Perhaps it was the half a dozen men who sat on little benches preparing raw eel by the entrance. But how glad I was I stopped for a meal (despite the exorbitant price of over $30 for just a box of rice with two slices I eel and a clear soup...) as what they feed you in Economy class really is like a kid's meal.

After filling up on unagi, I had energy to explore the town's main attraction. It is said eel makes you feel energised and lessons fatigue. Perhaps that were so, but the serenity of the temple grounds made me feel at ease. The beautifully carved wooden structures were surrounded by stone plaques erected between trees and shrubs commemorating some saint or marking well wishes for travelers who have journeyed far for blessings. With a wooden scoop made of bamboo, I washed my hands before entering the temple. The clear and cold mountain springs is supposedly able to cleanse your body.

Similar to Taiwanese culture and beliefs, temples are a place of sanctuary where you can get blessings. According to the year and time you were born, there are, as with all things in life and the world, cycles when your energies and fortunes wane or rise. Special wooden amulets and pieces of paper with prayers can be obtained to ward off bad spirits and omens and attract good fortunes and luck. I bought one for myself that is supposed to help me overcome difficulties. I anything, I sure need this now more than ever.

There was a beautiful Chinese-style pagoda that rose five storeys high. Between red and gilded wooden beams were elaborate carvings of dragon heads that evoked awe. I frowned at the loud laughter and crunching footsteps of some mannerless tourist (most likely from China...) which disturbed the tranquility of this sacred place. She was walking on a field of stones that were strewn between paths, something I doubt one is supposed to do. Smoke ascended from a cauldron, and I followed the actions of several visitors who stood by the cauldron and waved wafts of incense to purify and bless their souls and bodies.

There was a sudden drum beat that echoed in the otherwise very serene surroundings emanating from the main temple complex. I hurried into the structure  and was immediately struck by the simplicity of Shintoism's architecture to evoke  tranquility and inspiration. In a darkened hall, a priest led a solemn drumming ceremony to commemorate the victims and tragedy of the earthquake in the Japan's North-East over a year ago. I tread carefully and came to a dark pit with metal girdles across. Like someone next to me, I made a prayer and threw in a coin. It was a while before I could hear the metallic clink of the coin as it hit the bottom.

I wandered some more and explored the forest a little bit. I was pressured for time, and the rumble of the sky and dampness in the air forecasted a heavy downpour. I came to a souvenir store, and in pigeon Japanese (ie added "-o" or "-u" behind every English word) I asked for some "post-card-". The lady tried to sell me half a dozen, and when I said I only needed one, she referred me to an elderly lady next door. She was so kind and attentive, and every though I bought only one postcard, she meticulously placed it in a little paper bag and even threw in a origami figure of a Japanese kimono made using folded paper and toothpicks. I repeatedly  expressed my gratitude. I felt somewhat compelled by the act of kindness and  was drawn by the plush blue plane-like eel that is the town's mascot that I made another purchase to support this aged lady still making a living.

The wind picked up, and rains drops began to fall, causing the souvenir stands to shake and their owners come out to tend to their goods. As I prepared to leave, the old lady came out to bow gracefully and said a string of words in Japanese which I can only imagine are blessings and well wishes. I too bowed and quietly ended my brief visit to this quaint little town with a massive and extremely bush international airport to its name.

No comments: