22 June 2013

Passport check


Passport check

"Where were you born?" The border agent asked as he flipped through my passport. maybe it was a question to test my identity, for he would know the answer if he looked carefully.

"Taiwan," I said.

"Why Canada?" He asked. On my customs declaration form I put I was transiting, and Montreal as my final destination. 

"I live there," I said, which he said "You live there, eh?" Was he trying to pull a joke? 

He flipped through the pages a bit more. Was he intrigued by the number of times I've been to the US over the past year? Or the randomness of all these stamps for entry into  (and departure from) Taiwan? I was too tired to say more than necessary. From my experience, I am not a suspect traveler. 

"When was the last time you were in the Netherlands?"

"Umm, December? Last year for Christmas." 

He placed a few stamps here and there, closed my passport and gave it back to me. "Have a good one..."

"Thank you..." 

Taiwan, Canada, the Netherlands. Three random places on three continents spread across the world. Place of my birth, place of my adolescent years, and place of my current domicile. Does it get more international than this? 

No comments: