24 February 2013

Call from SXM

Phone call from SXM

I called just a little before ten in brother's local time. I guess I should have factored in the fact that they had jetlag and were probably in bed. They were in fact in bed.

It was the first time we spoke in over a week. I've been trying to call, but could not get through. Then I left on holiday, and my phone was acting funny (especially, for some reason, when I moved to the French side of the island...). I saw several missed calls, I tried calling back.

Only today did I manage to get through. He was groggy when he answered. The first thing he talked about was whether I got the money he transferred. That seemed to be more important. I texted two day earlier to say acknowledge that. Several times he asked if I got the money, and then he said there's mail for me and told me to check my email.

"Where are you?"

I told him a few days ago that I went to Sint Maarten.

"What are you doing going there? Who did you go with?"

"It's my birthday. I just wanted to go somewhere..." And who would I go with? My stuffed monkey and two inanimate bears-- one from the ex who smiles all the time, the other was given to me by my dead mother. Who else would I be with?

There was no birthday wish. Maybe he tried to call me on that day to wish me something. But certainly there wasn't even a message to that effect. And he didn't even ask me how I'm doing, how I've been.

He said he has to work in the morning. I said I'm sorry to have disturbed him from his sleep. I said goodbye and hoped he can sleep again.

That was that.


No comments: