27 August 2012

Will II

27082012.1612

Mum told me a few years ago that she adopted two children through a charity. One lives in Taiwan, and is a boy, the other is a girl teenager who lives in Mozambique. Because of mum, two children have a better life and better education. Because of mum, two lives will be forever changed.

She never saw or met the two children, and only receive news from them occasionally when they send her greeting cards and pictures of themselves. Mum said to me then that because brother and I have grown up, she does not need to provide for us so much any more, so she has means to provide for others. And, she always did want to have a daughter (and how disappointed she was that I am not a girl!) Mum reminded me many times that when I have the means, I should be kind and think of those who are less fortunate. "I will," I said to her.



Well, I am going to start right now.

In mum's will, she wrote that she wishes to leave some money for the two children. I called up the charity and made the arrangements. And I decided to do something else too. I decided to take over the "fostering" (albeit only financially...) from mum and continue supporting these two children monthly. It's the least I can do to continue mum's kindness and compassion, and the donor's name will remain unchanged. I did not even tell my brother about this, because he was somewhat opposed to the idea of donating to charity.

This is for you, mum, because you taught me how to be kind and how to be generous, how to be caring and how to have compassion. You taught me and showed me that even with just a little, that 'little' can change the world... even if only by a little.

 And these attributes will not be forgotten even though mum is no longer around.


No comments: