07 May 2012

NRT-YVR

07052012.1840 NRT TIME

Ten minutes into the flight. When I saw the maple leaf logo, I was reminded of the last time I saw that symbol of Canada. I remember at the time I wondered in my mind when it would be till I see Canada again. And that time has come...

Just read the news to catch up on what I have been missing in Canada (and the world) over the past four months or so. Managed to get an upgrade on the long flight, despite being told twice that I could not. Maybe they made a mistake, for they only want 6upgrade points for a trans-Pacific crossing, which is perhaps three times less than I expected. Oh well...

Perhaps I could get some sleep on the lie flat bed, and adjust to the time difference, so I get back "adjusted" and able to cram everything I've yet to study. I made a start, an hour or so before people started talking loudly on the phone in the business centre of the lounge. It's been over a week since I last studied, and I have less than a week to go till the exam...

I'm a bit tired, as I managed to sleep only four hours or so last night. I lay awake for a while, thinking about all the things at home, and what I'll be facing once at get home. I fell asleep, and I swear I remember dreaming of being with mum and being with a carer. A strange and intense dream.
I woke up at around three, and found mum was moving, and I imagine awake. I asked her what was wrong, but she didn't say much. I massaged her a bit on the shoulders, but she told me to go to sleep. I don't know if she managed to sleep after that...

Before boarding the flight, I called home. Brother had good news, as mum's neurosurgeon approved and signed forms necessary for mum to hire a foreign carer. This may mean she could get one within a month or two. If all goes well, we may not have to "bribe" people, which I was so disgusted by when I first heard about that possible need.

But mum threw up a lot today, so I was told, more than she took in. Brother said she was feeling unwell when she went to the hospital for a check up appointment, and threw up stomach liquids, which mum claims is bile due to the colour. it was worrying to hear that, for she was doing so very well yesterday. And brother panicked, and asked me whether mum should return to the hospital, which I know mum opposes resolutely. That day when she developed a fever close to 39C, I urged her to return to the hospital, but she resisted strongly. Luckily, with some icing and constant monitoring of her temperature, the fever subsided. So with the latest vomiting, I told brother to monitor the situation and see.

What happened today, after I left? What is happening now, 18 hours since I left home? As I told mum again and again before I left, mood can have a profound influence on your state of health and well being. And I just hope, I can only hope, now that I am inching further and further away with every passing second, that she is at ease in her mind and that her body is comfortable.


No comments: