30 December 2011

Bodily functions

30-12-2011
16.46
She was embarrassed, more I think because of the smell and idea of having to clean up after her. "I'm sorry you have to do this..."

"Why? You used to clean up after me when I was a baby, and you did it for years!" There was nothing weird about it... Well, except perhaps for when I have to get the bedpan and hide behind the curtain when mum loosens her hospital gown. But other than that, everyone poops, everyone pees, it's the all part of having normal bodily functions. In fact, after three days, I was glad mum said she felt like going to the washroom "to resolve" (解)  things (which learned today was the medical euphemism for pooing).

I don't have to worry too much about mum peeing, for a catheter and tubes direct the urine into a bag. All I have to do is regularly empty the pouch and note the volume of urine and the time. As for the "big job", today was the first time, so there was a lot to learn. As mum is more or less bed ridden for now, she must do it lying down (after some rehab, she should be able to sit on a mobile toilet...) It's a struggle, partly because mum is embarrassed, even embarrassed to say that she needs to go and to trouble me or the nurses. Her cousin who came to visit told her also it's nothing to be ashamed about. "Though he's a boy, treat him as if he were a girl..." She said to placate mum's embarrassment.

She needed to go three times today, and every time the bedpan is set I hide behind the curtain. I came prepared yesterday and bought some air freshener to get rid of odours, and I think that helps mum relax. Once she's done, I take the bedpan, note the shape and size of the collected goods and give her warm water to cleanse herself. I make funny comments after she's done just to "lighten" the mood and tell remind her again it's the most natural thing in the world...

Afterwards mum looks relieved, and I look at her relieved as well. She's been feeling bloated whole day yesterday, and at least now she seems to be getting back to the normal bodily functions, which is very good after such a major surgery.

"Thank you..." she says to me every time I clean up after her. But it is nothing, it is not even remotely revolting for me. "Remember you used to do this for me many, many times a day!"

How heart warming that the roles of carer and the cared for have reversed...

No comments: