28 December 2011

At TPE


At TPE
23.02 TPE time

Landed at TPE around half an hour ago, now on board bus to Taipei. I should be able to reach the hospital at midnight thirty, if traffic is good.

I slept most of the three and a half hour flight. And I dreamed much...

Dreamed the plane was taking off and landing, taking off and landing time and time again, somewhere in a mountainous area with lots of tall redwood trees. It was very exciting but felt so very dangerous. At various points I feared for my life...

Blending into that dream were images of my best friend in high school, someone I had such a crush on. I saw him, sitting only a few seats behind me, watching me, smiling at me. It was so assuring and beautiful to see a familiar face, even though we have not been in touch for years...

The descent into TPE was extremely turbulent, with the cabin shaking and shuddering so intensely the squeaking sounds of the overhead bins and the vibrations of the seat-pods made me believe the plane was going to tear apart. Rough, frightening, turbulent... A premonition perhaps of the way things are going to be here...

The latest news is that mum is conscious and that she is resting. My cousin sent me a picture of mum before the surgery. I almost cried seeing that picture... She smiled weakly, was dressed in a pink hospital gown, and with both her hands, she did the "victory" sign ("the Asian pose"). Despite the weakness of her smile, she looked strong, and ever so brave...

Just after landing, my cousin sent me another picture. Of mum lying in her hospital bed resting. Her hair was ruffled, and her teeth clenched around a towel. She looked tired, worn, as if she went through such a battle. And she did... A battle for life, a life threatening surgery to battle the odds.

Soon I will see her again...

Soon I will hold her hand and sit by her bedside...

No comments: