04 July 2011

train to Halifax

There is a feeling I've always found to very romantic riding the rails. So beautifully romantic that it makes my skin crawl (in a pleasant way) and heart lightly swoon.

I don't know if it's the gentle rocking motion, or the muffled rumbling of metal wheels as scenery after scenery flashes by. More exciting is falling asleep to the rhythmic rocking and vibrations of the train as it speeds through the night, and the knowledge that when you wake up the next morning you're already hundreds of kilometers away.

Sitting alone on my bunk bed, which is separated by a wall from mum's cabin next door. It's very cost here, and seeing the made bed I had a feeling I'll sleep wonderfully tonight. Only pity is that I'm in the cabin alone (save for the two teddies my friend asked me to take along....). How exciting and arousing it would be, i imagine, to cuddle up next to someone on the small bed and rock ourselves to sleep with the train's swaying motion.

Friends of mine said I was insane to take this twenty two and a half hour journey ( especially as the plane would take only one hour), but like so often in life, the trip itself is the journey. I love train journeys, and have been fascinated by trains since a child. So this is another experience that I'll remember for a long time to come (though I've done part of this journey two years ago too)

Sitting in the glass dome of the panorama car at the end of the long train, I could not but again feel so lucky and blessed being able to take mum on this long, long journey. Mum has once again that contented look on her face, and she did say that she felt much better than earlier today.

Making more memories and hoping we can savour every moment of another trip together.

No comments: