06 July 2011

sitting by the seashore

Sitting alone by the seashore, watching the sun set. Across the water, lies the sprawl and tall buildings crowding the waterfront of Halifax. A half moon hangs high in the dimming sky. A salty sea breeze is blowing on my face, tickling my hair.

Another day almost gone, it's always nice to spend a bit of time alone by myself. To calm down, reflect and to tell myself that it's alright to be alone once in a while. But also, it's good to spend some time alone and away from mum, who can be very dependent and clingy, especially as she does not like to venture out and try new things. Partly it's the language barrier, but partly also because, as she said, she's losing that drive of life slowly.

Another week to go until the end of her stay here, and other than the two days of arguments and crying, things have generally been going well. Strangely, she seems to now take more interest in my friend, occasional asking me questions about him, which I find somewhat awkward to answer, especially as we are no longer together. They have met on separate occasions, and mum does think he is a pleasant and smart boy with good tastes. I'm not sure what to make of that, though.

I think she is slowly getting used to and enjoying life here, despite it being somewhat foreign and (in her words) less refined compared to Europe, where she has lived for many years. I think the natural beauty and vast open spaces of this land has left a deep impressions on her and she has said she'd like to return again.

Today, after visiting the museum of Canadian together, she started to reminisce our first steps away from our home land when I was still young, and the little memories, setbacks and accomplishments since we settled down in Europe. Seeing the writings and pictures of all those immigrants, sensing their excitement, and perhaps anxieties, about arriving in a new home, made mum and I relive some old memories. Hopefully one day soon, I will, like all those millions of immigrants who have landed on these shores, proudly say out loud that I am Canadian.






No comments: