17 July 2010

Differences

When he told me his age, I was surprised, and perhaps a little disappointed. Too young, in my opinion... probably "immature" and ignorant of the ways of the world, whatever that may mean.

We had been emailing one another for a few days, and liked one another (at least what we've 'seen' of one another in writing), and we agreed to meet.

I'm not sure why the issue of age was never raised, but when it was, it was kind of a 'killer' of my enthusiasm for meeting this guy. I mean, I'm not old enough to be his dad, but still between the teenage and tweenage years are exactly the years when someone 'discovers' himself, discovers the world and its "wicked, wicked" ways and finds some sense and direction in life. Let's just say he's probably just starting that process, whereas I've been stumbling through for a while now.

Not to say that I have discovered myself completely, or know everything there is about the world, and I've already crossed the halfway point of my tweenage years. But still, common sense tells me (actually, warns me) that there will be great differences in experience, knowledge and outlook.

I guess I'll just go and meet this guy and see what happens. Worse thing that could happen is at some point either (or both) of us realise there's a great big disconnect, and we decide to part company before anyone of us feels too embarrassed to continue. If that happens, at least there's the fireworks I can still enjoy later tonight...

Well, given the stormy weather (a welcome cool, no doubt, in the persistent heat), that may not even be so certain...



I wish I hadn't seen all of the realness
And all the real people are really not real at all
The more I learn the more I cry
As I say goodbye to the way of life
I thought I had designed for me

Then I see you standing there
Wanting more from me
And all I can do is try
Then I see you standing there
I'm all I'll ever be
But all I can do is try
Try

No comments: