25 July 2013

Two sided

I am always surprised how two sided people can be, and more and more I see it around me. Was I naive before, and did I for too long refuse to see the "real" face of people? Did I cling too long onto the idea that everyone is innately good and kind and selfless?

At work, a series of events over the past year or so have made me so tired and cautious at work. People stepping over one another to get recognition... people bickering and feuding privately, yet openly and publicly maintaining this charade of being the best of friends... mud-slinging and bad-mouthing when someone is not around, and yet praising and boot-licking when the person appears... the hypocrisy, double standards, the pride and prejudices, the "daggers behind smiles" can be sometimes nauseating. But this is every day life... every day politics at work, amongst colleagues and "friends".
 
And it is ugly. Uglier yet when people you held such respect for could in favour of money, fame, glory, respect, shed their lofty academic credentials and titles and become such petty people. It just shows, we are all human after all, and titles, degrees, number of books written do not make a person better. In any way.
 




They say as you grow older you become disillusioned with life, you begin lose hope and lose faith in the world and in people. They say that. But somehow I still want to believe people are not inherently selfish; people are just ignorant and unaware. I still want to somehow believe people are the way they are because of circumstances and their upbringing, experiences and surroundings.

But with all that's going on at work, it just makes me want to move on and move away at the earliest opportunity. 

No comments: