13 February 2013

Unfilial son



I saw this video that was shared on facebook that made me cry. It is a recording of a confrontation at a mall in Taiwan. You see this heavyset guy shouting at his mother, who is in a wheelchair. The guy is forcing his mother to drink coca cola, and to do so by four o'clock. His tone is rude and aggressive.A crowd soon gathers, and members of the public start to shout at the guy, telling him off for scolding and abusing his mother like this. A lady shouts: "How would you feel if your own child treated you like this?" The guy replies defiantly "This doesn't concern you, look at your own mother first!"  I did not see it, but according to someone commenting in the background, apparently the guy was also kicking and pinching his own mother. In the end, security people and representatives of the mall came and defused the situation...

I cried because I thought of my own mother... Of course, we don't know the whole story or context of what led to the son being so rude and aggressive towards his own mother. Maybe he's been so exhausted and worn by years and years of care-giving... Maybe there were events in the past that  made him so bitter, so angry...

But I think back at the way I treated my mother, and remember again that never again will I be able to hold her, see her, speak to her if I wanted to. I have been rude and impatient to her, but never, never ever have I wanted to abuse her (or anyone for that matter...) physically and torment her mentally. I love too much to do that to anyone... I loved my mother too much to cause her any more pain and suffering...




No comments: