08 January 2012

48 hours

I just got home from the hospital. I didnt come home to rest or shower at all in the last forty-eight hours. Constantly I was at the hospital, next to mum, taking care of her every need. Very tired, but a fulfilling kind of tiredness. I would have stayed tonight again, but mum told me to come home, for she says she will be fine and actually sleep much better if I were not around... Last night, I for some strange reason could not sleep, and had to get up early this morning, for my brother's mother-in-law came to visit. We had a nice time together, and it was the first time that both grandmas and the grandchild were together in one place. Again, I watched from a distance and started to tear. What a beautiful scenery, of two middle aged women, both single, and yet brought together by a marriage, brought together by the common joy of a grandchild. I can see in their eyes, in their smiles their genuine happiness, their true joy and pride... We took mum out of the hospital today for lunch. We had to hide her under a blanket and large shawl so that her hospital gown was not showing. It was fun and felt very naughty, even though all we needed to do Was just tell the nurses we were going out for lunch. We went to a fancy restaurant, the first time for mum in two weeks or so, and the first time for me since I got back (otherwise, every meal has been some kind of take away...). Though mum's voice is still very lost and coarse, I could see she was enjoying herself a lot, being among family, and being surrounded by both her children (and daughter-in-law), and by her grandchild... Im retiring soon... I just hope mum will be alright by herself...

No comments: