07 December 2011

Recording

I called mum from the airport just as I was about to board the plane from AMS to LHR/NCL. Perhaps as the airport wifi connection thins down the connection to Skype, it was not possible to have a conversation with her, even though I could hear her. In the end, I sent mum text messages to tell her that I'm taking the plane, and wishing her well. I always do that before boarding the plane. Paranoia? No, just in case...


Perhaps mum did not realise it, but she did not hang up her Skype when she picked up, and she inadvertently left me a "voice message". Nothing much really, just some background noise at first, some shuffling of (I guess pieces of paper), and then the TV being turned on. I listened to the recording, which lasted around five minutes. What was I listening for? I'm not sure... a 'view' into mum's life and what she does when nobody is around, perhaps? I felt like a voyeur, but of the audio kind, instead of one who likes to peep and secretly watch someone from a distance.

But somehow I just wanted, needed to know if there were clues as to mum's condition or how she is doing. There weren't any. Just the TV, some kind of talk show or economic analyst talking. About what I could not really understand, as the voice was muffled. Mum did not say anything.

Eventually the recording cut out.


No comments: