06 December 2011

My nephew

I don't know what overcame me. I stood behind my brother and my sister-in-law, who were bent over the crib, laughing and tickling my little nephew. There were soft little giggles, and on his face was the clear expression of innocence and joy. I started to tear...

I looked away and blinked the soft, gentle shedding of tears away. Is there anything more important than family? Is there anything more beautiful than a couple playing with and talking to their newborn child?

 I was touched. All the years of uncertainty in my family, all the years of facing illness and death, at last a sign of the beauty and irresistible energy of birth and life.  All the travelling I did, all the little gifts I bought, all the hoping and expectations, and this was the reward... To see my brother and his family happy and safe, basking in the warm, gentle surroundings of a comfortable home, a loving cat, and love. What else does anyone need in life, what else does anyone ever want that is not already in this very scene that made me tear?

"Grandma doesn't want to come see you..." my brother said, teasing. I know deep down how much he would have wanted mum to be with us on this special day. On my nephew's first (Dutch) Christmas, on the day when miracles come true, on the day children are surprised with great gifts. Mum could only share our joy, and look at that empty chair next to me in pictures, and imagine herself sitting there...

"Grandma doesn't love you..." brother said, jestering. But in truth, and my brother knows it too, mum loves her grandson more than anyone can describe it.  He is the reason why she learned to use Skype and Facebook, because she wants to see and hear her godson grow and grow every single day. Mum may not have had the chance to travel to see my nephew in person, but her love is expressed in her smile and laughter whenever she hears him gurgle and giggle, whenever she sees him exercising his arms and feet in his crib. Her love is expressed in the way she buys him towels, clothes and goodies and sends them by express air packages. And is not setting up a special bank account for her grandson so that one day, even  when she is no longer around, he can go to university without having to worry too much costs, not another way of showing him how much she loves him?

My brother picked up my nephew, and sister-in-law played with his little arms and feet. I smiled at them with moist eyes.

How lucky I am to be an uncle...

How fortunate I am to share in the joys and wonders this little boy has brought to my family...

1 comment:

jo said...

Dear, Glad to feel the genuine warmth in between the lines..touching..so you are in Europe and will stay with your family for this holiday? Enjoy and take much care.:) Hugs