19 December 2011

missing in action

I last spoke to mum at around 11am Taiwan time. She said she was just about to head out, after complaining of severe sores and aches from the latest treatment. It has been three days, but because of the cold weather she said the recovery is taking longer, and she's not been able to exercise and get the toxins out.

So she said she'd go visit a friend in the east of the country, where hot springs come out of the tap. The warm water and being in the countryside will do her good, she said. I thought not much of it, but did find it bizarre that she would go travel so soon after her latest treatment, especially as it's a time for recovery... And she seemed eager to get off the phone for some reason...

I woke up and tried calling her mobile phone to see whether she arrived ok. It was nine and again ten at night, her time, when I tried. But neither times did the call get answered.

I thought she was asleep. But brother called me around noon (one in the morning Taiwan time) and said mums gone missing. A search campaign was began, and several messages on Facebook Walls of mum's best friend and her brother reveal the extent of the worry. Mums been incommunicado since at least 4 in the afternoon her time. People have been trying yo call and get a hold of her, but the mobile is not picked up.

Did she not bring it with her? Did she have it on silent? Nobody knows. From her friends to her relatives, everyone has been trying to locate her and find out whether she's alright. An auntie who calls mum everyday has been extremely concerned, as she mentioned on my brother's facebook page that mum has complained of severe pains over the past few days... And after a hiatus of over two years, suddenly last week, mum's youngest sister went to visit her and stay with her. More and more, I noticed that over the past few weeks mum has been quiet on her condition, perhaps because she did not want to worry me while I've been busy trying to finish off my thesis...

 Brother said he was extremely anxious the whole afternoon. I am seeing terrible premonitions of mum... In my mind, I imagine grabbing my suitcase and going... Sick, sick with worry... And I'm so tired, so very very tired. Just when I thought I could relax a bit after finishing my thesis, after a long weekend of helping my friend set up his apartment, this suddenly happens.

It could all just be false alarm, an overreaction... Perhaps mum is all well and fine and enjoying herself with her friend.  But mum usually has her phone with her, and would even pick up late at night... But so far she's completely disappeared and concerns are mounting...

What if she checked into the hospital to have surgery...?

What if something happened to her in her way to her friend's place?

What if, what if...

If only I could know...

No comments: