03 December 2011

Homecoming

Homecoming
3 Dec

Not many know about my return home. My mum knows, my brother and his family know, and two friends also know too. And I asked them not to tell. As far as everyone else  is concerned, I'm still home in montreal, going about my routine...

A main part of the reason why this trip is done in (almost complete) secrecy is because I'm saving up and building up the suspense and the curiosity till the day I surprise my friend.

Another is because I'm always wary not to advertise too much nowadays where I'm going, because people might just have the wrong impression of me. Yes, I  travel a lot. Yes, I have the means to do so and don't have to think too much about money and obligations like work, but I travel mainly to visit family, and not to go on so exotic vacation and indulge in luxury. And to me that's always a reason to travel, or at least I tell myself so.

My brother insisted on picking me up at the airport. Not just in the car, but he insisted on going inside to the arrivals terminal to greet me as I come out. The last time someone did that was my ex, in Vancouver, and it is a welcome, wonderful feeling.

I saw them almost immediately, and they greeted me with a smile. My sister-in-law stood next to my brother, who had a little baby his arms. "Hello! Who's this?" I asked jokingly.

My nephew, my beautiful, beautiful  nephew, whom I've only seen in pictures and videos. Now, for the first time, I was seeing and stroking softly on the cheeks for the first time in his life, for the first time in my life. My heart lit up in a way I never imagined possible. Right in front of, the source of joy in many people's lives, especially that of mum's. I smiled and stroked his thin hair while he looked at me with big, curious eyes.

 I gave my brother an semi hug, awkward as he had my nephew, and I gave my sister-in-law three kisses on the cheeks. "Welcome home to Holland!" she wished me. I looked around the terminal building... At the big Heineken advertising in the distance, at the bouquets of tulips at the florist, the pungent smell of coffee in air, mixed with a cacophony of chatter in Dutch In the background. All these familuar sights and sounds of home, triggering memories of my youth and childhood to flood gently flow back. Home again, after a year and a half away...

Best of all, it felt wonderful to be reunited with family...

No comments: