11 July 2011

in Quebec City

A light shower dampens the hot summers day, and brings in the cool evening breeze. Sitting on the ferry ghat crosses the mighty St Laurent and offers a magnificent view of the Old Town of Quebec, with Chateau Frontenac towering over the river.

It is a calming sight. An ancient city that reminds me so much of medieval Europe, with it's narrow crowded streets, little houses, cafes and bistros, and cobblestones. I feel like I'm back in time, back to places I have been to as a child and that have often filled me with a fascination and awe of the past. Beautiful ornate church spires, artisan workshops (now gift shops selling local arts and crafts), green squares with flowing fountains and wishing wells.

I walked the streets by myself after dinner, as mum has already retired to our room. It's my quiet time alone, which I enjoy thoroughly, for it gives me the chance to look back at the day and reflect a little. The city puts on a romantic glow at night, especially as the deserted streets carry a quiet calm that contrasts much with the hordes of tourists during the day. That romantic feeling is especially strong when I close my eyes and imagine being able to share the sights and sounds with another.



We walked around the Old Town a bit after arriving close to noon. The weather turned and it began to storm, so we spent a good deal of the afternoon lounging in bed and enjoying the pool. For lunch and dinner I took mum to restaurants serving local delicacies- duck, pheasant, bison and the like. All part of the rich experience I would like mum to have in these last few days in Canada.

She has little idea how much effort (and yes, money) I'm spending to give her the full experience. But that's not really important if I can see that she is smiling contently when she falls asleep after a long, full day.

And today, again, she said she is really beginning to like Canada, which made me feel so happy inside.


No comments: