27 June 2011

dinner get together

First get together since I got back from my time away. It's been a little over five weeks since I saw all of them. They seem to have not changed much- what do you expect after just five weeks?

It was pleasant to sit down and enjoy a meal together, catch up and chat. Somehow it seems like it's been far too long. Even though it's been only five weeks, it was the first time in this amount of tine I've been surrounded by people my own age. The interaction, conversation and things unspoken yet understood are of course very different compared to being around mum and relatives. I was tired, travel fatigue I would imagine, but it was still enjoyable.

A friend came up to me and said how inspired he was by the pictures of mum and I traveling. Asking about my travels, and listening to me explain, he seemed genuinely touched and had a little dampness in his eyes.

It is the second time that someone has said how taking mum traveling is such a moving thing to do, especially as for a while it was so uncertain whether it would happen at all. To the outside world, it looks so wonderful to be traveling through the Rockies, to stay at luxury hotels and go to fancy places.

Of course it is. But what they do not know, what people do not see behind the beautiful pictures, scenery and captured moments are those aggravating, excruciating moments of experiencing mum's illness and pains from close up.

I had to say goodbye quickly as I had a train to catch early in the morning. But as I said goodbye and left, I turned to look back at my friends sitting around the table. Such a warm and dynamic group of people. And I looked forward to more wonderful times to come with them as I continue my life here in Canada.

No comments: