03 June 2011

Day out

"Pregnant woman," I said loudly, on purpose, as we boarded the metro, "Do you want to sit?"
My sister-in-law was embarrassed and said she felt too full to sit, and preferred standing instead. There were two teenager sitting in front of us, napping. They did not wake up. She remained standing for around ten minutes before a middle-aged woman encouraged her to sit. "It's better to sit," the woman said to my sister-in-law, and she finally did.

We were on our way downtown, and I helped carry her suitcase as she did some errands before she made her way home to the centre of the island. Though her stomach doesn't look that big yet, she is officially into her sixth month of pregnancy, and I wanted to make sure she was alright. She told me even that sometimes she forgets that she is pregnant, and the other day she actually ran and waved for a bus to stop. Luckily the bus did stop and wait for her, and as she got on board, the driver told her to take it easy.

We talked a lot, about all sorts of things, and  I realised that it was the first time that we were alone together, and it didn't feel awkward at all. She really is a kind and charming person, as I've always felt she is ever since I met her. And, importantly, she is really respectful to my mum, and her presence has really changed my brother in many ways for the better. She even volunteered to come up and  stay over for two days, because she wanted to pay respects to my dad before she leaves the country in a couple of weeks to join my brother in Europe. That shows a lot, especially how much she cares about and respects tradition, and both our families get along nicely too.

A lot of the conversation centred on life in her new home, and of course also on the baby. Though he is still growing inside, I somehow feel such affinity toward him, and I told my sister-in-law that. I said I will do everything I can do help them, and to give the baby a good, healthy childhood by providing him with lots of good quality playthings and toys. The other day, her mother actually joked that perhaps they should consider sending the baby to Canada for me to raise, given that I've got some experience already with my godson. Both my brother and sister-in-law have little or no experience at all dealing with nappies, feeding or even holding a baby. "It'll come naturally," I said, and wondered how I actually managed to deal with all that when my godson was born.
 
For some time have been browsing baby stores to get an idea of what there is to buy. Perhaps I know that, however much I would like to have and/or raise a child, it will be some time  before my life can settle down and before I can find a partner I can share my life with (if ever). That is a big reason why my nephew's birth feels so close to heart and excites me so. If I had a child in my life, I would take care of  (for lack of a more better, gender-neutral word) it, pamper it, shower it with love, affection and care.

And I cannot wait to welcome my nephew into this world, and to show him all the wonders and beautiful things there are in life...

No comments: