03 May 2011

Sutty

She lay quietly in her metal cage, and was disinterested by all the noise and people around her, just as all the people and noise seemed to be disinterested in her. I spotted her, and knew almost immediately it was her. A shiny, smooth black coat, little white paws, big, innocent looking eyes that somehow elicited my pity ever since I first laid eyes on her and her sad life story on her online profile. Out of all the cats available that day for adoption, I chose her, and she came home with me, perhaps reluctantly, that afternoon. And ever since we have been together.

Two years it already has been... Those first nights Sutty (then known as Panda) would cry, as if homesick, and she would often hide or move away when I approach her. Today, she struts around as if she were queen of the household, head held high, relaxed and quietly monitoring everything that goes on.

I don't know what she is thinking when she sits by the window and watches the world go by... I don't know whether she feels confined or trapped in ( as someone put it) a "golden jail" being the resident cat in her new home. But I do know and am forever appreciative of the joy and warmth she has brought to my life.

The way she jumps up and down when we play together, the way she naughtily paws tomatoes and oranges I accidentally drop on the floor, the way she drinks water with her paws, the way she walks around my pillow before I fall asleep everynight... Little actions, little purrs that make me feel loved and wanted.

At times, I left her alone for weeks or months at a time... But not a day goes by when I do not think of her little head butts, little paws, and little crazy dashes around the apartment. And patiently she waits for me at home, to welcome me home faithfully and lovingly however long I have been away.

She is a special cat, full of mischief, full of life, full of character. And she, my little sweetheart, is my little black and white cat.



No comments: