28 April 2011

Surprise gift

Next week is mum's birthday, when she'll be turning 59. The other day i momentarily relived last year's celebration, for it was the first tine in a long time that brother and me (and at the time, my sister in law) were there to celebrate mum's birthday. I can still remember her face when she saw brother walk through that door unannounced, having flown half way across the world to be there on that special say. How mum laughed and smiled as she held onto that beautiful bouquet of flowers...

I wanted to be there for mum this year, but it's barely been two months since I got back, and as important as I personally feel it is for me to be there, the fatigue of travelling, of being displaced from the comforts of my own home again, was simply too much to handle...

So instead I'll make my 'presence' felt through my absence, and I'm going to send her a little gift box. At first I didn't know what to buy mum, but my boyfriend who had just recently returned from southern France bought a lovely card with a field of lavender, and some lavender-perfumed products. Mum always loved the smell of lavender, and how soothing and calming it is, so I told my boyfriend that would be a very suitable gift, and that mum would undoubtedly be very touched. I myself bought her some coffee beans covered with dark chocloate, one of her favourites....

I was touched by the mere fact that my boyfriend thought of my mum, and remembered how I once told him about her love of the smell and sight of lavender. Today, he took the time and effort to even write in 'Happy Birthday' to her in traditional Chinese characters. As he tried to copy the difficult strokes and lines, he became somewhat frustrated that it wasn't perfect (partly also because I said there was a little mistake). I know he was really doing his best, and i tried to reassure him. perhaps he wanted to impress my mum, and he felt like he messed it up. I may not have been very patient with him, I admit, but i was proud of him for trying.

Perhaps i should have told him that there and then, told him how special I felt that card meant to me, and I believe will also be to my mum. Especially at this time when she is experiencing pain and feeling weak, all the bits of care and compassion will do wonders...

Little words, little gestures, I have always believed touch people in so many ways. And I so hope that receiving the gift package from my boyfriend and me, mum will experience moments of joy and laughter, and hope, from the heartwarming thought that somewhat out there she is cared about and loved

.

No comments: