06 May 2011

happy birthday!

Mum sounded cheerful when I called her. Though I was I. A daze still, after having slept late helping to organise a conference, it completely escaped me what day it was until she said "Oh you must have called to wish me happy birthday!"

And wish her happy birthday I did. A few days ago she already received my birthday card and gifts. I had nothing more to add than wish her happiness and good health, a life free of worry an free of pain. Mum said a number of people called her, including my brother and my sister in law , as well as friends and oddly enough her real estate agent ( who actually went to the trouble of buying her a lovely cake!)

It's been a difficult time for her, and in Taiwan the 59th year is often seen as a unsettling one, a kind of obstacle just before reaching the great age of 60, which symbolises a complete cycle in life. ( as they say life begins at 60)...

She said she went to the hospital yesterday and made a plaster mould of her head and neck in preparation for a long 12 session radiotherapy she intends to undergo. "the doctor said it'll keep the tumour in the spine under control and shrink it somewhat." the hope is that she will have less aches and sores and be less dependent on painkillers, which over the last two months she has gradually needed to increase the dosage and frequency of intake. "Hopefully by the end of it all, I'll be ok to travel to see you".

Yes, I wish her happiness, good health, and that she can again travel the world which
she so much enjoys doing, more than anything else....

No comments: