06 May 2011

Gratitude

There are people you meet in life that unknowingly and unexpectedly bring great changes and surprises to you life. They are people you always feel a connection toward, feel a great deal of gratitude toward, however long time passes.

This week, one such person in my life came to visit, partly to attend the conference I've been helping out at. I invited her to dinner at my place, and showed her how much of a positive influence she has been in my life.

Over the two day conference, we would occasional meet in the corridors, and talk about how we used to work together, reminisce those crazy days staying late at the office in the run-up to the event we were organising together. She began as my boss, and soon became like an older sister, who guided me, gave me advice and inspiration, and helped me obtain opportunities that I otherwise would never have realised or known existed. In difficult times, when I lost my dad, she was there to support me, emotionally and also in my work while I was on leave. Even now, when I mention her, I am filled with such gratitude and praise for all that she has done to help me transition into a new phase of my life here in Canada.


Last night, at an alumni dinner, as professors spoke about how the institute is like a family, I really felt I was so lucky to be in that room, all thanks to my friend and mentor. As the evening ended, I went up to her and toasted her.

"Thank you for everything you've done to change my life," I said, as I lifted up my half full glass of wine. She looked visibly touched, and gave a a pat on the shoulder as she said she is proud of me. Proud of me, even though deep down I feel like I've not really achieved much academically or professionally in the past two years or so. Proud of me, because life does not always need to be measured in the number of articles you can publish, the number of books you've read or number of speeches you have given.

"I believe in you", she said, "I'm waiting for you to write something one day", alluding to the fact that she has for a long time been admiring my writings, and hopes that one day I could write something and be published. As she left, she gave me a book, Girl in Translation, written by a friend of hers, which I immediately began reading, and liking.

Yes, there are people you meet in life who so unexpectedly bring into life great changes, who believe in you and fill you with ambition and hope. And my friend and mentor  is one of these people I am often so grateful toward and humbled in having the great fortune of meeting.

No comments: