05 August 2010

"Oh, Romeo, Romeo..."

With love's light wings did I o'er-perch these walls;
For stony limits cannot hold love out,
And what love can do that dares love attempt;
Therefore thy kinsmen are no let to me.

Risking thunder and rain, I rode toward the park on the riverside. The outdoor performance went ahead as planned, despite the flooded grassfield and no more than fifty people watching. I sat down, just as the sun was appearing before it disappeared for the day.

The great romantic tragedy of Romeo and Juliet... I've seen it numerous times, in theatres, dance theatres and ballet halls. The story of two forlorn lovers torn apart by the feud of their families. An impossible love in life, and in death. A tragedy, bitter and painful, but perhaps worth it all for they had once tasted the sweet, sweet taste of love's nectar, and forever long for and remember it.

I sat on the ground, a plastic bag to keep me from getting wet from the puddles all around me. I listened to the poetry, the magic of Shakespeare, heard and let his epic words wash over me, conjuring images and memories that only he (or they?) could put so beautifully into words. In the distance, I saw flashes of light in the looming clouds. Clouds that seemed to inch closer and closer with each passing line spoken on stage.

The lightning was spectacular.... sudden, unexpected, swift and merciless. And for those few moments or micro-moments, the sky would brighten as bright as day. Clouds with their orangey glow from the pollution of bright lights in the city moved ever faster, and was soon overhead, overshadowing the open field, overshadowing the performance on stage.

And soon it began to rain, as people ran. I sat there and moved slowly. Savouring the rain, the echoes of Romeo and Juliet's exchanges, and felt the fading romance of the night before the torrential downpour and horrendous sounds of thunder took over.



No comments: